25 Things Your Dog REALLY Can’t Eat!

25 Things Your Dog REALLY Can’t Eat!

toxic for dogs

Can I Eat That?

As I was steamcleaning the cantaloupe juice out of the carpet the other morning (one of my dogs had snacked on the fruit that had been sitting on the kitchen counter top), I realized that I did not know whether cantaloupe was toxic for dogs. In fact, I wished I had an easily accessible catalog of toxic foods for cases such as this. I often have people calling me in a panic because their dog ate something and they don’t know what the potential consequences are.  I have put the following together based on experience and research–I was especially surprised to learn about the dangers of avocados!

First of all, there does exist a National Animal Poison Control. You can look them up on the web at Animal Poison Control or give them a call at 800-426-4435. The drawback is that the fee for the call is $60, however in times of need, this is no more than the typical co-pay for a human to go to the emergency room. My experience and that of my clients has all been very positive with this organization.

Foods That Are Toxic To or Just-Plain-Bad for Dogs

Alcohol

  • Can cause intoxication, coma, and death

Avocado

  • The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. The toxic ingredient in avocado is called persin. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart, vomiting, diarrhea, death, inflammation of mammary glands, cardiac failure, respiratory distress, generalized congestion, abdominal enlargement.

Apple, Almond, Apricot, Peach, Cherry, Plum, Pear, Prunes & similar fruit:

  • The seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans causing diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, (Stem, Seeds and Leaves).

Baby Food

  • Can contain onion power which can be toxic to dogs

Broccolli

  • Gastrointestinal irritant

Cat food

  • Usually too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate

  • Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.

Citrus oil extracts

  • Can cause vomiting

Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags:

  • Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes

Eggs (raw)

  • Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible. If your dog has a partial blockage in their intestines where food can be trapped, e coli or salmonella could breed more easily.
  • Egg white contains the protein ‘avidin’ which forms a stable and biologically inactive complex with biotin. The avidin in egg whites will tie up the biotin so it cannot be used by the dog.”**

Fat Trimmings

  • Fat trimmings can cause pancreatitis

Iron

  • Human vitamin supplements containing iron can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Macadamia Nuts

  • Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis.

Marijuana

  • Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products

  • Some adult dogs do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Mushrooms

  • Acute gastric effects, liver and kidney damage, abdominal pain, nausea, salivation, vomiting

Nutmeg

  • Tremors, seizures and death

Tobacco

  • Nausea, salivation, vomiting, tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)

Onion

  • Gastrointestinal upset, anemia, destroys red blood cells

Grapes, Raisins, Prunes

  • Kidney failure, as little as a single serving of grapes or raisins can kill a dog.

Persimmons Seeds

  • Can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis

Potato peelings and green looking potatoes

Salt

  • Excessive intake can cause kidney problems

Tomatoes

  • Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.

Yeast Dough

  • Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines

 

This list is not meant to raise alarm – only to inform you about what to look out for. And notice… cantaloupe is not on the list! Hooray!

Want to schedule your own Animal Communication reading with Danielle? Learn more here.

220 Comments
  1. DenalisMum December 25, 2014 at 4:30 pm

    My 1 year old Alaskan Mal is about 100 pounds or so and just ate about a pound of cooked ham fat. I am just watching her now. I gave her bread to try and soak up some of the fat. Any ideas?

  2. Alexis January 8, 2015 at 9:23 pm

    My dog eats tissues unused but it that still bad he’s about 1 1/2 year

  3. Nick January 10, 2015 at 10:26 pm

    my dog just ate a small camera tape and somehow got to it. I dont know if he swallowed anything but if he did what could happen?

  4. Lora January 18, 2015 at 9:49 am

    THANKS THIS IS SO HELPFUL!!! My mom almost gave my toy poodle avocados. However, you can feed your dog apples, just make sure to peel it, take the stem out, and take the seeds out! Also #firstcomment #of #2015!!!!!

  5. Lora January 18, 2015 at 9:49 am

    Just kidding lol

  6. nate January 22, 2015 at 9:40 pm

    My dog ate 3 6mg pills of Fanapt. And is lethargic – do i need to take to ER ?
    Is he going to be ok

  7. rebecca jones January 23, 2015 at 10:17 am

    It is bad for them need to take her to vet and ask them what to do or call them.

  8. rebecca jones January 23, 2015 at 10:17 am

    It is bad for them need to take her to vet and ask them what to do or call them.

  9. Gracie February 24, 2015 at 9:33 pm

    You can actually give tomatoes to dogs you just can’t give them the seedy part.

  10. Mae March 28, 2015 at 3:35 am

    The more I read the comments, the more my dog’s diet seems odd. I have a mini pinscher (born and raised in the Philippines) who’s fed mostly rice and ground pork, he used to have that sautéed with green beans, garlic and onions but the vet advised not to give him green beans anymore because it’s causing him some sort of arthritis. He can not tolerate poultry nor eggs, he once suffered from an edema eating pastry. Read here that eggs & turkey are good and that pork & onions are big no-nos but my dog is almost 11 years old and so far only has poor vision.

Leave a Comment